Perfectly smooth skin is the object of many girls’ desire. But what if a suggestion of weariness, inflammation and dull complexion spoil your appearance? In this case it is worth using a foundation. And it is important to know how to apply it correctly and which tools are better for it.
It seems that foundation is the most controversial of all decorative cosmetics. For a long time it was thought that it clogs the pores, causes skin irritation, inhibits breathing of cells, makes the skin older and the skin condition becomes worse. However, the structure of modern foundation has changed significantly. Now foundation not only masks flaws, but improves the tone of the face. Also it additionally nourishes and moisturizes the skin, protects it from the negative effects of ultraviolet light and the environment.
How to pick out foundation
Every woman has a unique skin texture. Therefore, different areas of the skin may differ in density. To align the skin tone and create a natural effect, you need to choose an appropriate foundation and learn to use it properly. There are many kinds of foundation. Some create the effect of heavy make-up on your face; others are designed to create a light tone. When choosing a foundation, you should consider the skin condition and its needs. Moreover, foundations differ in texture and density. So they can be:
- Liquid. Such a foundation cream сan easily be spread over the skin, it masks flaws, but does not create the effect of heavy make-up. It is considered the most popular type of cream, therefore it is presented in all price categories;
- Thick. Due to a dense, saturated texture, this type of foundation can perfectly conceal flaws and skin irregularities. But its use requires some skills, as spreading this cream over the skin is difficult enough;
- Stick foundation. It looks like a corrector. It is applied only to certain areas of the skin. It also creates a dense coating, which, if you use it incorrectly, will emphasize wrinkles and irregularities;
- Creamy powder. It combines the functions of two cosmetic products: foundation and powder. Therefore, it is easily applied to the skin and mattes it;
- BB and CC cream. They contain a small amount of pigment, but it moisturizes the skin and makes the tone smooth. Suitable for using in summer;
- Mousse foundation. Such a foundation is characterized by a foamy consistency. Due to this, it is easily spread over the skin, and makes a thin layer on the skin;
- Cream based foundation. It has a very dense texture, so before application it is mixed with a day cream.
Secrets of perfect foundation
Persistence and accuracy of makeup largely depends on the correct preparation of the skin before applying decorative cosmetics. For this you need to do the following:
- Cleanse your face thoroughly. You will not be able to apply a foundation well, if there are any cosmetics, dust or excess sebum on the skin. Therefore, in the morning it is necessary to wash your face with a cleansing face gel and then use a tonic. It is recommended to do deeper peeling and cleansing the face with masks and scrubs twice a week.
- Moisten the face. After washing, it is necessary to restore the water-lipid balance of the skin. For this you can use any moisturizing or nourishing cream. Due to this care a foundation is spread over the skin evenly and will keep well on the skin during the day.
- Apply a primer. A silicone or cream base will prepare the skin for applying a foundation; smooth it, filling the irregularities. Here you can use a stick primer to mask some flaws.
After moisturizing and cleansing the skin, you can start applying foundation. For this, use a professional brush, a sponge or your finger pads.
Makeup tools you need
The choice of tools is everyone’s business because you cannot give an exact advice on this issue. Makeup artists recommend trying all the methods of applying makeup and determine the most convenient one for you. Each tool has its advantages and disadvantages, let’s consider:
- Brush is a good tool to apply a liquid foundation cream. It is easier to apply a foundation on hard-to-reach areas of the face with a brush, and the required amount of foundation is minimal;
- Sponges can create a smooth and neat tone. A wet sponge makes a lighter layer, and a dry one – dense layer, which can hide all visible skin defects. Sponge can easily remove excess foundation, so your makeup will not get worse during the day;
- Fingers sometimes are the most convenient way to apply foundation, especially if it is in the form of mousse or stick. Before applying, it is recommended to drop a small amount of foundation cream on the hand. The cream warms up and it will be easier to spread over the skin. In addition, the fingers are the cheapest way of applying foundation.
Step by step application technique
It will take time and practice to learn how to apply the foundation. It will be much easier for you to look fresh and natural every day if you choose a foundation cream correctly. After preparing the skin, proceed to the step-by-step application of foundation:
- Squeeze a foundation cream into the back of your hand. Wait until the cream warms up slightly from body temperature.
- Apply the cream with a brush, sponge or finger pads. Start at the center of your face and spread the foundation toward your hairline and neck. It is important to keep the brush completely perpendicular, so that no noticeable smears and untouched areas remain. From the area under your eyes gradually move to the chin.
- Apply the cream on all sides of your nose carefully.
- Apply the cream on the forehead. Start at the center and gradually apply the cream to the hairline and eyebrows.
- Blot the excess of foundation with a wet sponge. It is better to do this with tapping motions.
The area around the eyes requires more effort. For this you can use a concealer or a stick foundation with a lighter tone than your cream foundation. Apply a small amount of concealer from the inner corner of the eye to the outer corner as close to the eyelashes growth line as possible.
Correction of face shape with foundation
It is not necessary to buy a corrector pallet for the correction of facial contours. You can do this with the foundation. Makeup artists advise using two shades of tone: the first is close to the natural color of the skin, and the second should be darker. Depending on the shape of your face, the dark foundation is applied to different parts of the skin. So if you have:
- A round face, the dark tone is applied to the temples and cheekbones;
- A square face, the tone is applied on the edges of the chin and the temples. This will smooth out the angularity of the face;
- A face in the form of the heart, it is necessary to make the forehead, chin and temples darker;
- An oval face, such type of the face is not necessary to correct. You can only add some expressiveness by highlighting cheekbones.
- An excess of foundation on the face only emphasizes skin imperfections, wrinkles and irregularities. Therefore, after applying the tone, it is necessary to damp corners of the eyes and nasolabial folds with a wet sponge. Do the same with the nose area because in this area of the face your make-up is especially noticeable, so it should be spread over the skin very carefully.
- Make-up tools for foundation should be of high quality. It helps to achieve an even tone and you will need a less amount of cream for applying.
- A dense thick layer of the foundation prevents the breathing of cells and leads to pores clogging. And this causes inflammations on the face.
- The tone of a powder should match the tone of the cream. Otherwise, all irregularities and skin flaws will be noticeable.
After applying foundation, it is important to evaluate the result under natural light. Since now light make-up is on trend, the tone layer on the face should be as thin as possible.